Welcome to Waiting for Tulips!

I love gardening. I love digging in dirt. I love growing plants from seed. I love looking in my garden each morning for a sprout, bloom or any sign of progress with a steaming cup of coffee. I love sharing plants with my friends. I love teaching kids about gardening. I love the smell of good compost. I love tulips but can't grow them well in Arizona, so I'm waiting for a day I can .......

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bean, Kale and Chard Soup

As I harvest all remaining cool season vegetables from my garden (making room for warm season ones), I am enjoying finding ways to use them in the kitchen.  My friend, Cory, recommended trying kale and chard in a cannellinni bean soup.  The result?  Fantastic soup! 


The color of the greens in the saute pan is gorgeous.  I wanted to eat it just like this, but continued on with the soup recipe.


The verdict in my house was a solid thumbs up.  I have many more greens and am considering a second batch for the freezer.


Kale, Chard and Bean Soup (combo of Cory Pfitzer and Martha Stewart recipe):

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed and chopped
1 bunch kale, stemmed removed and chopped
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups cold water
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
2 cans cannellini beans
1/4 tsp  oregano
1/4 tsp  basil leaves (or 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped)
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp parsley  (or 1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped)
1 Tbsp course salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Fresh Parmesan cheese

Place olive oil, onions and garlic in large saucepan over medium heat.  Saute for 3 minutes, add chopped celery.  Cook 3 minutes and add Swiss chard and kale.  Continue cooking for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Stir in tomatoes and dry spices and cook for 3 more minutes.

Add 4 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups cold water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Add cannellini beans and simmer for 10 more minutes.   Soup should be pretty dense.  Serve with fresh Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and fresh bread.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment