Welcome to Waiting for Tulips!

I love gardening. I love digging in dirt. I love growing plants from seed. I love looking in my garden each morning for a sprout, bloom or any sign of progress with a steaming cup of coffee. I love sharing plants with my friends. I love teaching kids about gardening. I love the smell of good compost. I love tulips but can't grow them well in Arizona, so I'm waiting for a day I can .......

Monday, January 30, 2012

Root Veggies for Dinner

What better way to spend Monday morning than harvesting root vegetables from the garden?  I have been carefully watching my turnips and carrots get plumper and plumper, and I just can't take it anymore.  Check out their beauty:





One of my favorite ways to use these to roast them.  Here is a recipe I think you will love:

Roasted Root Vegetables

2 carrots, cut into 2 in pieces
1 large parsnip, cut into 2-in pieces
1 turnip, cut into 2-in pieces
1/2 rutabaga, cut into 2-in pieces
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2-in pieces
1 red onion, cut into 2-in pieces
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a large bowl, toss together the carrots, parsnip, turnip, rutabaga, sweet potato, and onion with olive oil to coat.  Season with 2 Tbsp salt and toss again.  Spread the vegetables in a single layer, without touching, on two baking sheets.

Roast, shaking the baking sheets occasionally and turning the vegetables with a spatula to keep them from sticking, until they develop a light crust and are tender, about 40-50 minutes.

Transfer to serving dish and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment