Welcome to Waiting for Tulips!

I love gardening. I love digging in dirt. I love growing plants from seed. I love looking in my garden each morning for a sprout, bloom or any sign of progress with a steaming cup of coffee. I love sharing plants with my friends. I love teaching kids about gardening. I love the smell of good compost. I love tulips but can't grow them well in Arizona, so I'm waiting for a day I can .......

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Plant

With each year, I like to adopt a new plant to my garden.  In 2011, I planted Calendula by seed and it was a simple, easy and pretty flower to grow.   Also known as Pot Marigold, it is an annual that requires full sun and moderate water.  It has a daisy-like flower in either orange or yellow, and blooms late fall through spring.



Calendula seeds are super simple to harvest.  The seeds are large and easy to handle (good for kids and little hands).  Let the bloom dry out on the stem, pick and separate seeds.  One plant produces multiple seeds so you will never have to buy them again!  I highly recommend you consider Calendula in your garden this year.



My new plant for 2012 is Kohlrabi (German turnip).  It's a funky looking vegetable that I have never grown nor eaten.  I planted both the White and Purple Vienna variety a month ago and so far, so good.   Stay tuned.....



Happy 2012!

1 comment:

  1. Your flowers are beautiful! I love seeing what you have in your garden- can't wait to see what else you have growing there!

    ReplyDelete