Welcome to Waiting for Tulips!

I love gardening. I love digging in dirt. I love growing plants from seed. I love looking in my garden each morning for a sprout, bloom or any sign of progress with a steaming cup of coffee. I love sharing plants with my friends. I love teaching kids about gardening. I love the smell of good compost. I love tulips but can't grow them well in Arizona, so I'm waiting for a day I can .......

Monday, January 16, 2012

Transplant Time

Since moving last year, I have been waiting for a whole 15 months to transplant my roses.  Now is the time - finally!  We are renting our old house so I still have access to my garden, which I miss dearly.  I am the type of gardener that can tell you where each plant came from and its sentimental value.  Moving away from all that green sentiment was hard for me.  Especially my roses.

Why?  Well, for starters, my roses smell wonderful.  I cut them weekly and their fragrance fills my home during spring.  It's hard to find a great smelling rose anymore. 



Each rose also has a story.  The first one I am transplanting is from the previous owner of my old house.  It was planted in a poor location in the back yard and looked pitiful.  After staring at it for two years, I decided to move it to full sun and fertilize it.  The new location worked great and this rose is now the happiest damn rose in town.  It smells amazing and has fantastic blooms - take a look:



The second rose (purple) has great sentimental value.  Ted's sister, Lisa, passed away in 1998 and it was planted in her memory.  His mom gave all of us a rose because Lisa loved to stop and smell the roses on her walks in LA.  This rose will move with us wherever we go.


The third rose was given to me by my Girl Scout troop three years ago.  It is yellow - my favorite color - and is a symbol of all the good times with my troop girls. 

Finally, my roses are coming home. 

Note:  for your January garden checklist, be sure to include planting bare root roses or transplanting roses.  Plant your roses in full sun, but preferably a morning sun spot that offers some protection from the hot afternoon summer heat.  Once planted, fertilize your roses every six weeks.  Peak bloom season is in April.
  

3 comments:

  1. I have been begging Braden for roses since we moved into our house 4 years ago- my grandma Rosemary used to grow them before she died and I want to carry on the tradition! I dropped a hint about wanting a Rose bush for Valentines Day- I hope my husband got it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roses are great for tradition! I will put a blog entry up tomorrow on hth - I'm running a little late today. Question: does someone have to have a google acct to post a comment? I'm getting some questions from people on how to post a comment. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Your grandma Thatcher would be so proud of you. She also liked to transplant flowers. I remember when we moved from Haddon Heights to Summit and she dug up all of her tulips in the backyard to take with her.

    ReplyDelete