Welcome to Waiting for Tulips!

I love gardening. I love digging in dirt. I love growing plants from seed. I love looking in my garden each morning for a sprout, bloom or any sign of progress with a steaming cup of coffee. I love sharing plants with my friends. I love teaching kids about gardening. I love the smell of good compost. I love tulips but can't grow them well in Arizona, so I'm waiting for a day I can .......

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Composting: Getting Started (Part 1 of 3)


I love compost.   I began composting years ago due to the guilt of filling my kitchen trash with organic scraps.  My family eats a lot of fruits and vegetables, so this amount of scrap was noticeable.  I also have always been skeptical of any product (i.e. fertilizer) containing the word “Miracle.”  But it wasn’t until I made my first batch of compost, spread it in my garden, and realized the benefit to my plants that I really believed in compost.  Once a believer, there was no turning back. 

Composting is pure science but you don’t have to be a science whiz to do it.  Yeh!  It is simply the decomposition of organic materials, aka handmade soil.  It is how nature recycles itself into a rich, fertile amendment for your garden.

Here are some simple guidelines to get you started:

Step One:  Find a space
A compost bin can be made out of just about anything (or nothing).  Examples include:
Plastic trash can; saw off the bottom and drill holes for air flow
Make a square bin out of 4 posts and chicken wire
Use bricks to make a bin of any shape, height and depth
Purchase a rotating bin
Use no structure and make piles on the ground

 Composting station at Broadmor School Garden
Rotating bin in my backyard

Step Two:  Add organic material
For a balanced compost, 4 items are needed:  browns, greens, air and water.  Layer brown and green organic materials, always finishing with brown material on top.
Brown = dried leaves, shredded paper, dead plant material, straw, wood chips
Green = vegetable and fruit waste, grass clippings, coffee grounds
* Do not add meat or dairy products (egg shells are okay)
**The smaller the size of your organic material, the faster it will break down.  So, chop up that moldy cucumber!  The ideal size for material is six inches long.

Step Three:  Maintain Your Compost
Aerate your compost by rotating the contents about every 2 weeks.  Keep the pile moist by watering it down when it looks dry.

Step Four:  Watch and Wait
Depending on the balance of your pile, the size of your organic material and the bacterial activity, your compost will be ready in about 3 months.  Here is a photo of my most recent batch:



Most importantly, do not over think this process.  You will learn by experimentation and observation.  Trust your inner scientist and just go for it!


Preview:  Part 2 of 3:  Meet the Bugs

1 comment:

  1. Oh thank God. I decided to start a compost bin and almost called you because I was so nervous! So glad your sharing this on your blog!

    ReplyDelete