Welcome to Waiting for Tulips!

I love gardening. I love digging in dirt. I love growing plants from seed. I love looking in my garden each morning for a sprout, bloom or any sign of progress with a steaming cup of coffee. I love sharing plants with my friends. I love teaching kids about gardening. I love the smell of good compost. I love tulips but can't grow them well in Arizona, so I'm waiting for a day I can .......

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spring Pots

In order to have your pots full of blooms year round, you need to plan ahead.  I am getting better at "pot management" (sounds illegal) and this spring, my approach seems to be working.  Here are some of my pots:

Front Porch Welcome Pot:
Nasturtium, vinca (can be a perennial in AZ), pink geranium (behind egg sign) and a yellow snapdragon that is a surprise return from last spring.  I planted the nasturtium seeds in early fall when the vinca was still going strong.
More Front Porch Pots:

Left Pot:  Red geranium, pink petunias, nasturtiums, two daffodils, and an Asiatic lily that will bloom closer to summer.  I will put a smaller sunflower variety and/or zinnia in this pot shortly for the hot summer months ahead.

Right Pot:  The pink flower is mainly clover I was given from my old neighbor, Jodi.  It is a perennial that is very hardy and spreads.  There is an orange lily sprouting in the middle of the clover that will keep this pot colorful in the summer.

Pool Deck Pot:
This yellow nasturtium is one of my favorites.  Typically, they are orange or pink so the yellow is a sweet alternative.  Narcissus just finished blooming so I left their stems for a tall, green background.  I have a mystery plant in the back left corner (maybe a daisy?), some pink vinca in the middle and purple allysum down below.  I have thrown so many seeds in this full-sun exposure pot over the past year that I am never quite sure what will appear next.  Pink and white cleone seeds from my mom's garden in NJ are in here - let's hope they pop soon!

Side Porch Pot
:
The centerpiece of this pot is purple mustard.  I saw this gorgeous veggie on an edible garden tour and loved it.  More narcissus remants and a Oriental Star Gazer lily growing in the right lower corner.  I also have a dahlia in here from my aunt Terri in NJ.







Vegetable Garden Pot:  This pot contains basil, freesia and calendula.  I also recently planted some hyacinth bean vine seeds to grow up the post behind it and along my grapevine supports.  This pot gets full afternoon sun which is scorching in the summer so I will have to put something super durable in here soon.  Sunflowers!  An orange Mexican sunflower will add color and some shade for the vegetable bed located directly in front of this pot. 


Plant your pots full to the brim.  They can handle more than one or two plants at a time.   Grow up, down and in the middle.  Mix vegetables, herbs and ornamentals as long as they share watering needs.  Grow plants from seed to save money as annual transplants can get costly if you have large pots.  

Happy Potting!

No comments:

Post a Comment